Old December 20th 03, 12:29 AM
ergo

hahahha
161's
iloveit

"Dick" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 01:00:52 GMT, AF Four Kilo
wrote:

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 01:13:15 GMT, "Marty B."
wrote:

Well to me 73`sss and "HANDLE" reminds me of CB`ers, on the ham bands
and I hate hearing it.

Wrong again. Hams have always said 73s. I have been hearing it on the
ham bands myself since 1963 when I started as an SWL, and you can read
it in the CQ and QST magazines from the 1940s and 50s so I don't know
when you strange campaigners got into this absurd obsession but you
are sadly mistaken.

There are always exceptions, but the question is, "what has been the
commonly accepted practice over the years?" Out of curiosity, I
picked a couple of QSTs off the shelf. One was from Nov 1968, and the
other from Aug 1947. I looked through every page and found the use of
73 once in each magazine. Nowhere did I see the use of 73s, and I
would challenge you to show common usage of the abbreviation 73s in
amateur magazines from the 40s and 50s. Of course I did see a note
from G6CL in the 1947 QST who suggested the use of 161 to shorten the
use of 73 and 88 together! :-)

Dick - W6CCD