Old December 20th 03, 11:49 PM
N4ATS

Don't think you ever took one apart either. I have 4 of them running ,
there is NO COMPARISON to a "knock off". The station master (144 Mhz) is
a 4 Inch Raydome , 26 foot long with 1/2" tubular dipoles that are
brazed to a center 1/2 trans. It wiegh's almost 40 pounds and is rated
for 90 MPH. It is also a DIRECT GROUND , unlike other claims like
diamond / comet or workman which are DC ground through a capacitor that
"blows apart" on strikes...Get your facts right...

N4ATS

Paul Vanasse wrote:
"Glenn Ziolkowski" wrote in message

Amateur grade antennas do not have the mechanical durability to
withstand typical repeater service. Likely what you have is
wind-induced stress at some internal mechanical connections that
manifests itself as the crackling noises.

Have you ever taken apart a Station Master or Phelps Dodge commercial
antenna? Neither one of them is internally very different from my $79.95
Workman brand knock-off of a Comet or Diamond. Antennas are antennas,
whether they are being used for a police dept. repeater or seldom used
amateur packet station.

I agree on your assessment however. The culprit is either loose joints or
water. I'd dismantle the thing and braze every union in place and then
waterproof the casing joints with Seal Tight upon reassembly.