Old November 25th 04, 08:27 AM
Roger

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:59:20 GMT, Bob McConnell
wrote:

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 23:43:39 +0000, "Ian White, G3SEK"
wrote:

Jim Keller wrote:

Question is, what have others done to prevent antenna connections, such
as ground radials from corrosion at their points of contact?

With copper wires soldered to a copper pipe busbar, I used several coats
of clear polyurethane spray lacquer. Five years later, it looks like
new.

Anything that will keep the water out of the joint between the two
different metals will do fine. The advantage of clear lacquer is that
you can see what condition it's in without disturbing anything.

I live about 5 miles from the Ocean and the vertical is located on a
slope that gets watered at least once a week.

I live in England. The whole country gets watered, several times a week.

I live in Michigan. We get watered every day for a month and then
nothing for a month.
:-))

Hi Jim,

The major corrosion problems occur when you mate dissimilar metals.
Copper to aluminum is probably the worst in my experience. Here in the
states, we mixed copper and aluminum wiring in houses for a while in
the 60's and 70's, before AL wire was completely outlawed. There were

Completely outlawed? It's tripple ought AL right into my breaker box
and that was installed last year. OTOH I've never seen outlet wiring
made of AL.

snip

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com