Old November 26th 04, 04:12 PM
Robert Lay W9DMK

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 20:51:16 -0700, Wes Stewart
wrote:

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 20:20:32 GMT, (Robert Lay
W9DMK) wrote:

Bob,

You might want to look at this paper:

http://users.triconet.org/wesandlinda/AIEE_High_Swr.pdf

Dear Wes,

I have downloaded the pdf file and printed it out. It's tough reading.
I hope that MacAlpine agrees with what Dave and Richard are telling
me, because their responses seem to be correct and are exactly what I
was afraid of - that I've been sucked into another example of the
strange terminology used to describe "losses".

I have always thought of "loss" as a conversion to another form of
energy (typically heat energy) which is lost from the system.
Apparently, the kind of "loss" being described in the example that I
gave is not a loss at all. It's more like "return loss", which is also
not a true "loss" in my thinking. In other words, it seems that the
"Additional Losses Due to SWR" are not losses at all, but are simply a
measure of the power that "could" have been delivered to the load were
it not for the mis-match.
Bob, W9DMK, Dahlgren, VA
http://www.qsl.net/w9dmk