Old January 17th 04, 07:19 PM
SomeDetritus

Default FA: Johnson Viking II with VFO + 6N2 + 6/2 Converter + more

I have for auction on eBay a Johnson Viking II plus other Johnson equipment to
provide transmit coverage 160 thru 2 meters + receive on 2 and 6 meters. Just
add a HF receiver and you're good to go 160 thru 2.

The URL with pictures is

and the somewhat wordy description is

This auction is for a lot consisting of E. F. Johnson tube equipment: enough in
fact to give you coverage between 160 and 2 meters. Included is a Viking II
transmitter in good to very good condition, a 6N2 six and two meter
transmitter in good to fair condition, a VFO 122 160 thru 10 meter VFO in
excellent
condition, a 6/2 meter receive converter in good to excellent conditon (needs
cord) and a two meter VFO in good to excellent condition. I believe that this
VFO
has been modified to give 6 meter coverage as well (according to the
schematic for the 6 and 2 meter model of this VFO, the "bandswitch" simply
switches in a
couple of caps to change to 6 meters, and it looks like a previous owner has
added this simple switch to make the 2 meter VFO a "6 and 2" model. Not sure on
this however...) The Viking II is a beautifully built transmitter with a pair
of 6146's in the final RF amplifier modulated by a pair of 807's. It operates
on 160-10
meters at a DC input of 180 watts CW and 135 watts AM phone. This example as
a small stain on the lower left side of the front panel which will probably
clean
off okay; otherwise the panel is in very good shape. Built specifically for
the Amateur Radio market in the early 1950's, it has even seen use in
commercial
broadcast applications. The price class was $280 as a kit and $340 factory
assembled. I beleive that this is a factory assembled unit. This rig is built
like a tank. It's also very simple to work on and understand. As with all
multi-stage tube rigs it takes a bit of practice at first to tune up. There is
no need to modify this for
better audio as it already does a great job in "stock" form. The final tuning
assembly is the same unit as in the Viking desk kilowatt only on a smaller
scale. It consists of a large variable inductor ganged to a loading capacitor
which simplifies output tuning. I can't stress enough how direct and easy to
understand this transmitter is. It also benefits from not having a complicated
mode switch. A large filaments toggle switch turns on the tubes and a plate
switch turns on the high voltage and allows the rig to transmit. The Johnson
VFO-122 was designed to match this transmitter as well as its predecessor, the
Viking I. The example in this auction is in fine shape with no mods or major
blemishes. The 6N2 VHF transmitter gets it's power from the Viking II and other
than a small dent in the lower left front of the case, it has no major flaws.
Could use paint and a bit of cleanup however. Included is an extra front panel
and meter for this transmitter. The 6/2 receive converter is in great shape but
needs a cord. I have manuals for each piece of equipment; some appear to be
original but most are very good aftermarket copies. Also included are some
misc. modification and technical articles copied from past ham radio magazines.
I haven't used this equipment in 15 years so it will probably need the usual
switch/pot cleaning and other TLC that one usually applies when powering up
vintage equipment after storage.

Closes Sunday January 25, 2004.

Thank you.