Old November 28th 04, 04:14 PM
Bob Miller

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 00:20:56 -0600, Warren Bowery
wrote:

Hello, all....

My first HF antenna (still in use) is an inverted V cut for 40
meters. This very quiet antenna is constructed suspended from three trees
in front of my home - the tree in the middle supports the apex while two
somewhat evenly spaced trees support the ends. The center of the antenna
is approximately 30' above the ground, and the angle of the V is about 120
degrees. The antenna is constructed of #14 stranded jacketed wire fed with
450 ohm window line. This antenna has worked quite well for me on 10-40
meters using a transmatch.

Several months ago, I tried to raise the antenna's center to around
40'in order to improve performance. I also raised the antenna's ends
proportionately. My transceiver's noise level increased dramatically. I
then tried a "flat top" dipole configuration without any lessening of the
noise. When I returned my antenna to its original configuration, all was
quiet again. To me, the noise sounded electrical in nature.

There is a power line feeding a street lamp about 25' away and
perpendicular to the original dipole. The street lamp power line is about
35' high. Power lines to all of the homes in our neighborhood are buried
except for the home adjoining our back lot. The power company strung a
conventional pole-to-house feed to their home. The feed to the street light
also runs from this pole.

I am planning on stringing an 80 meter dipole in our back yard. This
new antenna would be constructed of the same components, and parallel to my
original wire antenna. The apex would be strung between trees with the
middle about 40' above the ground. However, I am leery of doing this
project considering the noise problem experienced when I raised my original
antenna. I would like to add a 80/75 meter antenna however.

Is my problem related to a noisy power line feeding the street light,
or is it be something else?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Warren - KC8YKQ

C.Crane Co. has a helpful page on receiving noise:

http://www.ccrane.com/radio-noise-problems.aspx

bob
k5qwg