Old August 25th 03, 03:24 PM
W5DXP

Richard Harrison wrote:
When power in each direction is alone measured in each direction,
it`s found there`s no variation in intensity at all.along the line.

So as I try to understand the error in my logic, you are saying that
there can be power, even though the voltage or current is always 0.

Take a look at a light interference pattern. The minimum irradiance
(power) is I1 + I2 - 2*Sqrt(I1*I2). This is called total destructive
interference, i.e. zero power. Yet those two light beams don't even
know each other is there. Their individual power flows are a constant
amplitude and constant direction.

Exactly the same thing holds true for forward and reflected waves. The
"zero power" points are simply the total destructive interference points.
The forward wave is unaffected by the reflected wave and vice versa.
A physical impedance discontinuity is required to cause interaction
between the forward waves and reflected waves. There is no physical
impedance discontinuity at an SWR voltage node in a constant Z0 feedline.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp