Old February 15th 04, 07:38 AM
W4JLE

The higher voltage values are no problem. Do not stray to far from the
original Mfd values. Remember you can also series for example 2 200 volt
400Mfd caps to get a 400 Volt 200 Mfd cap.

Good luck in your endevors and if I can help you further, let me know.

Fred W4JLE

"Twelve VDC" wrote in message
Hello, knowledgeble colleagues. I am replacing PS filter caps on an old

tube
CW transmitter that I believe are (all) shot and responsible for the

harsh AC
hash-n-hum. I'm not really trying to restore it; I just want to clean up

the
signal to use it, so it's not important to me to try to conceal multiple

caps
into the original paper holding combo can above the chassis.
There are some nonstandard values, however. Now, I know I can add the
capacitance sums by wiring in parallel to achieve my targeted uF

requirements,
but can I use caps designated for higher V without consequence?
Can I substitute, e.g. a 450/30 and a 450/20 in parallel to replace a

400/50?
A 450/100 to replace a 400/100?
How 'bout a 450/8 to replace a 450/4? (Instead of bothering to put 2 in
series.)
As a general rule then, as long as I exceed Voltage and Capacitance

values
called for in the schematic, am I ok?
Thanx in advance for your advice.