Old February 18th 04, 11:53 AM
- - Bill - -

Brenda Ann wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
news.com...

There is no difference between Alaska, Hawaii, and New Mexico or
Maine.

Will someone please explain this 48 state stuff?

What's the story?

The 'story' is TIME. NO ONE in Alaska or Hawaii wants to
WAIT for 'ground' delivery, which is what is usually quoted
in the shipping price. Maine is 7 days TOPS. NOT weeks
like AK and HI are.

I asked at the Post Office, TODAY, in person, and found
that GROUND to Alaska is 4 weeks!!! So that means that
if I quote you 'parcel post' or 'Priority' - it makes NO DIFFERENCE
and will take a month to get to Alaska. Even WORSE for
Hawaii- 4 to 6 weeks.

So that means 'I'll pay the shipping at the rate quoted but if you
don't live in the lower-48, and you want it before summer, you
will have to cough up more money'

On the other hand, if I quote 'any state in the union' that means
that 48 states will get a VERY HIGH price just to make 'one price
for all' work for AK and HI.

Pretty simple. Go to www.usps.com and enter your own shipping
info and you'll see. It's really a simple issue.

That's pretty bad.. I get stuff over here (Korea, at my APO) in 7 to 10 days
via USPS Priority mail. Sometimes it even gets here faster. Just got a
radio in to repair for a friend, he sent it Parcel Post from California, and
it got here in 6 days (delivered to ME, and I'm sure it sat at least a day
on each end in transit).

I really appreciate the seller attempting to prevent me from suffering
inconveniences by having to wait so long but since I live here and am
accustomed to the time it takes I don't think I need that courtesy - or
else I wouldn't want to buy the item in the first place.

USPS Parcel Post can 'officially' take as much as 4-6 weeks to this
location. It rarely does. In maybe 50% of the cases its as fast as
Priority (3-4 days) and in six years here I can think of only a few
instances where it took a month. Never 6 weeks. So in a way its kinda
like pot luck but if I need it guaranteed faster I can pay for Priority.

I have never asked or insisted that a seller send me something at his
"48 state shipping included price", nor would I. The only time that
backfired on me is once when the cost of shipping here was LESS than his
"flat rate CONUS" figure.

It is indeed "pretty simple". No problem in having a flat rate for the
48 and anybody beyond pays the actual tab. Be advised that a USPS item
from New York to California costs the same as one from New York to
Alaska so often there is no difference anyway. What doesn't make
logical sense is "buyer pays shipping, CONUS only" unless the seller has
no access to a post office.

-Bill/KP4