Old May 25th 04, 01:07 PM
AA

The Shell Oil Company recently issued a warning after three incidents in
which mobile phones (cell phones) ignited fumes during fueling operations.

YAWN...urban myth. Who at Shell sent this out? Proof, please. URL? No one I
know at corp. knew anything about this.

You should know that:
Mobile Phones can ignite fuel or fumes

BS....we tested radios, cell phones and other devices (cameras, etc) and not
one problem without purposely trying to ignite fumes (i.e., short circuiting
battery while in presence of fumes...Darwin Award level tricks)

Bob Renkes of Petroleum Equipment Institute is working on a campaign to try
and make people aware of fires as a result of"static electricity" at gas
pumps. His company has researched 150 cases of these fires.

This is the ONLY true item in your posting. Static electricity has been
implicated in almost every vapor related fire (tho lighting cigs are also
ignition sources).

Proof? I designed, built and sold fuel dispensing systems during different
parts of my career. Heck, I donated the old Clegg FM27B which we used for RF
testing and ignition testing in the old lab....