Old December 8th 04, 09:31 PM
Mike Coslo

Edmund H. Ramm wrote:
In "Cecil Moore" writes:

[...]
I have never seen rain make more than a two foot change necessary

With true open wire line the neccesary "change" would be 0 feet.

and the SWR only ever changed by about 0.2.

Falsified by the also increased losses.

[...]
I am savvy enough not to have a horizontal run of ladder-line out
in the rain. :-)

In due time the dirt which comes down with the rain will also stick
to a vertical run of twinlead, thereby gradually obviating an initally
acceptable performance.

Two years and my twinlead still sheds water like a duck.

At least in my case, the short time that I have been a Ham, I have seen
more problem with water in coax than I have seen water problems with
twinlead.

But we knew about those problems because the antenna didn't lose a bit
of signal. It simply quit working at all!

- Mike KB3EIA -