Old December 9th 04, 09:00 AM
w9gb

"Hank" wrote in message
Hello,
I hope I'm in the right newsgroup..........

I am totally remodeling my house.
The walls are gutted down to the studs.
I want to run any and all appropriate wires and cables before the drywall
goes up.
I want to receive UHF and VHF TV signals for my TV.
Most people now get their signals via cable or satellite.
I would be happy with just six channels or so.

What kind of cable should I run ?
What type of amplifier should I have ?
Rotor type ?
What are good antenna brands ?
Model numbers ?
Anything else ?
Thanks,

Hank

NO, not the correct group for TV, satellite TV or home cabling ... try
rec.video.satellite.tvro or comp.dcom.cabling or
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin.../list.cgi?2130

Home cabling today (computer network, TV, etc) is referred to as structured
wiring.
http://electrical.bobvila.com/Article/371.html

http://electrical.bobvila.com/Article/372.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_12212_make-pre-wiring.html

http://www.tvidish.com/builders.html

Remember that "off the air" VHF/UHF analog signals are due to be replaced by
Digital TV over the next 4 years. I would wire for satellite cabling
standards, if you don't have a local CATV company.
DIY TV cabling
http://www.dba.org.au/uploads/docume...0802_amend.pdf

http://www.smarthome.com/coaxcable.html

Some other links
http://www.satellitetv-hq.com/hqguid...l#installation

http://www.starkelectronic.com/

The other choice is to just pull the plastic tubing for the cable (with a
pull string) and pull the cabling later -- without ripping up your walls.
Check with local building and inspection codes for acceptance in your area.
http://www.phonegeeks.com/wirforfut.html

TIA-570-A Grades of Cabling

Service Grade 1 Cabling
Requirements
Grade 2 Cabling
Requirements

Telephone (1) 4-Pair category 3 (1) 4-Pair category 5
Optional (1) 4-Pair category 5 Optional (2) 4-Pair category 5
Television (1) 75-ohm Coax (1) 75-ohm Coax
Optional (2) 75-ohm Coax
Data (1) 4-Pair category 3 (1) 4-Pair category 5
Optional (1) 4-Pair category 5 Optional (2) Optical Fiber
Multimedia Not Accommodated (1) 4-Pair category 5
Optional (2) Optical Fiber

Benefits to Homeowners

Homeowners or tenants are exploring the full spectrum of residential
technologies available today and most certainly will continue to do so in
the future. Entertainment, security and environmental controls are only a
few of the highly desirable attributes being sought by homeowners and
tenants. In addition, there are other convenience offerings and features,
e.g., energy-efficiency, high performance in-home networking, internal or
external digital video/audio systems to name a few. Enhanced capabilities
for SOHO's, Internet access or telecommuting are obvious, and are among
additional benefits to be enjoyed by residential users, all enabled by a
TIA-570-A infrastructure in the home.