Old December 9th 04, 09:20 PM
w9gb

"Hank" wrote in message
Hello,
I hope I'm in the right newsgroup..........

I am totally remodeling my house.
The walls are gutted down to the studs.
I want to run any and all appropriate wires and cables before the drywall
goes up.
I want to receive UHF and VHF TV signals for my TV.
Most people now get their signals via cable or satellite.
I would be happy with just six channels or so.

Thanks,

Quality 3/4" exterior grade plywood can easily serve as a centralized wiring
center (TV, telephone, computer network) for service demarcations and
termination point for the house wiring (coax, UTP and fiber), in some
cases -- space or esthetics dictate other approaches or solutions for a
centralized wiring center.

When you do not have no basement, need a "flush mounting" cabinet (that fits
between standard 16" stud construction) and have esthetic considerations
within the house .....
I like to install and use the Leviton Structured Media Center.
http://www.levitonvoicedata.com/cata...uildPageID=223

I installed one of these Leviton enclosures last year at my brother's home
(1-story ranch) which was built in the mid-1990s. Leviton SMC enclosures
are available at Home Depot, Lowes and numerous electrical distributors that
carry Leviton (e.g. TriState Electronics, Mt. Prospect, IL).

Installed the Leviton model 420 (large unit) flush in his garage wall. This
larger enclosure allows for the eventual incorporation of a security system
and a whole house audio/sound system.

Today, the SMC supports two Category 5e unshielded twisted pair (UTP) cables
and 1 RG-6/U quad shielded coax cable terminated at a telecommunications
outlet (every room of the house). Specific room locations (e.g. video/sound
media center, home office/computer area; large family room) were wired with
additional jacks or outlets to accommodate specific equipment needs, future
growth and the ability to move furniture within large rooms (and hide
cables).

The installation was standardized on telecommunication outlets from
Leviton's QuickPort Decora Multimedia Insert collection. This matched the
existing Leviton Decora electrical switches and outlets (in both color and
design - esthetic considerations) throughout the house.
I primarily used the 4-port inserts with some 2 and 3 port inserts at
specific locations of the house for specific usage.

Complete installation took about one week (2003 Thanksgiving week):

Maintain all telephone, CATV, home network and Internet services during
installation (This does contribute to the longer installation timeline)
Installation work could only be performed between 9 AM and 5 PM, with
mandatory clean-up tasks at 4:30 PM (This was due to the week chosen and
specific hosting and family commitments)
Rough in Leviton Structured Media Center (SMC)
Pull new Category 5e cables (about 24 runs)
Pull new Quad shielded RG-6/U coax (about 12 runs)
Reroute high quality CATV cables for reuse (3 runs).
Route all cabling through attic space and establish primary cable pathways
within attic space (minimizing pathways adjacent to home electrical cabling)
Install multimedia (coax) 3x8 distribution unit (supports satellite, cable
and video inputs)
New service drops (CATV) to SMC from 2 local providers (Newnan Utilities and
Charter cable)
New electrical circuit run for main circuit breaker box (power to the SMC)
Reroute Bell South telephone drop and demarcation to SMC enclosure

Remove original owner's Quad (obsolete 4-wire) telephone cabling throughout
house. Former owner was a building contractor who installed existing
cabling infrastructure (He was clueless on structured cabling or standards).
BTW, if you get DSL services many Baby Bells will not support internal quad
cabling .. and either wire to specific point or advise you to rewire the
house.
Remove existing (poor quality) RG-59 coax and distribution (splitter)
system.

Full 100 Mb (Fast Ethernet) home network and CATV services are supported
throughout house, with 802.11(b) "WiFi" capabilities added this past summer.

The only way to go, a "Plug-n-Play" house.

w9gb