Old June 9th 04, 07:42 PM
Lou

Gotcha! Truthfully, as I alluded to, not sure why he didn't just buy a
complete set in the beginning. Sometimes, saving money costs more in the
end.

Lou

"krackula" wrote in message

just guessing .....sounds like an old PCM system and a " super old "
( read this as throw this stuff away ) ..... type opener. it's easy
and fairly inexpensive to abandon both older types and add a
modern technology rolling code type operator. the receiver connects
to the " inside the house operator " push button terminals on the
old receiver and mounts right next to the old system. Sears ,
for example , sells many compatible accessories and the receiver for
this type of system. they have wireless keypads , key chain units,
and
" built in " ( like in you car's console ) type units. none of it
very expensive. accessories that work with X-10 equipment /
controls is commonly available for advanced users , and
automated home installations. ebay is awash with VERY affordable
deals on this stuff , heavily discounted and still new in the box.

k.......................

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 12:52:59 -0400, "Lou"
wrote:

Thanks, I'll see what I can find out. I'm not sure if he has Web access

or
not - I doubt it, but I'll try to get the info for him. I guess I should
have mentioned too, that the Sears remote did have dip switches in it,

while
the "Wards" unit had 2 adjustable coils in it. One I'm sure was for the
Frequency.
Me thinks - he is going to have a dilemma here shy of buying a complete
system.

Lou

"krackula" wrote in message
news

most likely he is discovering the difference between either 1.
different " rolling code " GDOs or a mix of older conventional
PCM GDOs and 2. the newer " rolling code " types.

the older PCM types have a row of circuit board switches that
have to be matched to operate properly. different brands may
have subtle differences that prevent them from being compatible
with other brands. ( different length of code , 1 , 2, or 3 different
operating freqs, etc. )

the newer " rolling code " encryption types must usually be
programmed
to match each other in order to be comparable. this must be done by
the retailer , at the store , much like getting your car key chain
remote ( also rolling code ) reprogrammed. here , again, different
brands have different codes or freqs and equipment from different
makers will not likely be comparable.

older , PCM, type openers can be " hacked " by both eavesdropping on
their " fixed " digital code ( from a nearby location ) or by brute
force , high power , " code sweep " generators.

most newer garage door operators have the " rolling code " type
openers and these cannot be hacked by any public means.
here again the openers must be matched by code types ( freq,
maker codeing , etc ) in order for the accessories to work.

search Google for " rolling code garage doors " for 50.000 hits

many suppliers have " universal " openers , both rolling code and
PCM that are designed to work with a number of different systems ...

search Google for " universal garage door openers " for about 54,000
hits .

k..................................

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 10:15:25 -0400, "Lou"
wrote:

Anyone do this sort of work or have a pretty vast knowledge of brands

and
compatibility?

Someone here in town has installed a Garage Door opener. He presented

me
with the following two devices when asking the question or more so
presenting me with the problem.

Wards Magikey Model 702. There is a freq and a code listed on the

unit.
Sears Model #139.53718. FCC ID # HBW3CQ53718

I'm not real clear on their installation - but they're telling me that

the
Sears unit (remote) isn't working to open the door. Also the "Garage

Keypad"
isn't working either (Sears brand - presumably the mate to the remote)

but
the button inside the garage does work to raise and lower the garage

door.
He is thinking the remote and key pad need set to work with the motor
assembly. I've never laid eyes on it, so I have no clue. IF anyone has

any
info on either or both of these units, please let me know. Also, if

you
can
lead me - more so "him" in the right direction to get him straightened

out,
that would be nice. "I" don't fool with openers so, I admit, I'm

clueless
here.

Actually, I have a suspicion, he may be trying to piece together a

couple
different systems as evidenced above - and though he swears the Keypad

and
remote are Sears, "I" am thinking they may be of different models and

not
compatible. "I" do not know nor did he say, what brand or model the

motor
was for the opener. Not sure why he didn't go and buy "A" new unit -
complete. I suppose he is trying to save a few bucks, but I have a

feeling
in the end he may screw around and waste more time and have more

aggravation
than it is worth.

He nor I (certainly) have no paperwork on these two devices. If anyone

does,
we'd appreciate any help. Please reply directly.

Thanks in advance.

Lou