Old December 12th 04, 01:21 AM
Ether Hopper

Well you have been referred to the FAA Regs and the Airline policies and
ignored them.

http://www.fordyce.org/scanning/scan.../scan_fly.html

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...e?OpenFrameSet
Section 91.21
So here is another URL we hope you read about GPS
http://gpsinformation.net/airgps/gpsrfi.htm

Just a snip:
There are documented cases of AM/FM radios causing interference with Avionic
systems and as a result, AM/FM radio receivers are generally prohibited.

You will be happy to learn of this quote;
"By design, (or happy accident), the "spurs" generated by a GPS generally
fall outside the communications frequencies used by Aircraft and so have not
been a problem even though a few "spurs" exist.
But SOME airlines do not permit the use of GPS receivers. Why is that if
they are "safe"?"

You will be unhappy with the answers. Hope you go to the URL for the answers

Here is one:
If a GPS is safe, why can't I use it on an airplane anyway, even if the
pilot says NO?
Answer:
This would be a) unwise, b) illegal and c) dangerous. Never presume that
you have more authority than the Captain of a ship! He is responsible for
the lives of his passengers and likely has knowledge and experience about
his aircraft and/or equipment and/or this particular flight that no one else
has.. The use of a GPS by a passenger is NOT worth a confrontation and a
possible visitation from the police or FBI when you land..

READ THE LAST SENTENCE AGAIN

Be safe, obey the law, stop guessing -- get educated and read these URL's

--
RF Gotta Go SomeWhere

"Some Guy" wrote in message ...
What a load of horse ****.

You guys are acting as if the engines and flight control surfaces of
an aircraft are intimately tied to the plane's radio receiver, and the
slightest odd or out-of-place signal that it receives is enough to
send any plane into a tail spin.

All this while the air travel industry is considering allowing
passengers to use their own cell phones WHILE THE PLANES ARE IN FLIGHT
by adding cell-phone relay stations to the planes and allowing any
such calls to be completed via satellite. So I guess the feeble
radiation by my FM radio (powered by 2 AAA batteries) is enough to
cause a plane to dive into the ocean, but the guy next to me putting
out 3 watts of near-microwave energy is totally safe.

What about my hand-held GPS unit? Any chance me using it (during all
phases of a flight, which I do routinely) will result in a one-way
ticket to kingdom come?

Getting back to the original question (poor to non-existant AM
reception), I understand the idea of aperature and long wavelenths of
AM radio and the size of airplane windows - but what about the effect
of ALL the windows on a plane? Don't they create a much larger
effective apperature when you consider all of them? And since the
plane isin't grounded, isin't the exterior shell of a plane
essentially transparent to all RF (ie it's just a re-radiator) because
it's not at ground potential?