Old August 31st 04, 01:16 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"Steve Uhrig" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 12:38:54 GMT, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

If they were going to require a tone , it should have been one of two

tones.
One for the 30 khz splits and another for the 15 kc splits. That would
eliminate the need to try to find a tone for a repeater for travelers.

Not debating the pros or cons of tone, although after being in the
commercial sector all my career it seems so odd to build a CSQ
machine... It is almost unheard of for something to be CSQ in the
commercial circles, and that has been the case for at least the 35
years I've been at it.

On the amateur machines I do, I put the CTCSS freq in the voice ID on
the controller.

That still doesn't address the problem of itinerant travelers needing
to program a tone in while passing through the area, but at least they
will know which one to use.

I can't program a tone into my Yaesu mobile or portable without the
manual. I program them with the appropriate software at home, not on
the road.

Steve WA3SWS

************************************************** *******************
Steve Uhrig, SWS Security, Maryland (USA)
Mfrs of electronic surveillance equip
website http://www.swssec.com
tel +1+410-879-4035, fax +1+410-836-1190
"In God we trust, all others we monitor"

Addressing this situation; why not simply make the repeaters 'whistle up'?
In Germany they had the repeaters set up for a 1750 tone burst, if I
remember correctly. You could whistle it up. The machine then stayed up
for a period of time. If it dropped, you did the tone again.

It could also be setup on the machines to override the PL (private line, sub
tone) just for travelers.

I brought this up several years ago to the Alabama council. They ignored
it. What do you folks think here?

Dan/W4NTI