Old January 22nd 05, 11:01 PM
W9DMK

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 11:53:07 -0600, "Ken Bessler"
wrote:

My HF rig was damaged earlier this month. I replaced
it (Yaesu FT-840) with a new FT-857D and all is working
fine but I'm getting wierd results from my antennas.

I have 2 HF antennas - a coax fed 160/80 trap dipole (uses
3-1/2" dia coax traps) and a shortened Van Gorden
"All Bander".

On all three bands with the new rig I'm getting about 1/3rd
more bandwidth between the 2:1 SWR points. The SWR
meter hasn't changed and the feedlines and antennas are the
same - only the transciever has changed. Power is as before
- 100 watts.

What could be causing this? The only thing I could think of
is that my old rig was "dirty" and the harmonics were adding
to the SWR.

Dear Ken,

Are you saying that you have a separate SWR meter, external to the rig
and that you are using this instead of the rig's internal SWR meter?
Is their no internal autotuner or outboard manual tuner involved?

Bob, W9DMK, Dahlgren, VA
Replace "nobody" with my callsign for e-mail
http://www.qsl.net/w9dmk
http://zaffora/f2o.org/W9DMK/W9dmk.html