Old January 22nd 05, 11:49 PM
Ken Bessler

"W9DMK (Robert Lay)" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:07:18 -0600, "Ken Bessler"
wrote:

"W9DMK (Robert Lay)" wrote in message

Dear Ken,

Then I'm going to suggest that which was my first thought - something
has probably been damaged by lightning, and it will probably require
that you take everything down and examine it inch by inch to find what
has happened. Be especially observent over the entire length of coax
for any sign of a burn.

I have had several strikes over the years that have caused varying
amounts of damage. Often, it is just a small burn through from the
inner conductor to the shield that leaves a lump of charred dielectric
at the point where it left the feed line and found some shorter path
to ground.

Bob, W9DMK, Dahlgren, VA

Thanks, Bob but lightning was not in the area or even in the state.
My HF rig was physically damaged by a falling branch sweeping
past the window where some of my coax lines went out.

The coax cables I'm using were not affected nor were the antennas.
The ice storm had already broken the support ropes and those
antennas were on the ground when the branches came down.

I deliberatly incorporate a physical weak spot in the support ropes
so that the antenna will survive in case of a snag.

The 2:1 SWR range on 40m was 303 kc before. Now it's 465 kc.

--
73's es gd dx de Ken KG0WX
Grid EM17ip, Flying Pigs #1055,