Old January 22nd 05, 11:10 PM
Caveat Lector

The DX-398 Manual is on line at URL:

Since it is in pdf I can't copy it and don't care to type it, but the
procedure is quite clear for LSB and USB tuning --- see page 25 of the
manual

--
Caveat Lector

"Scott A." wrote in message
I have a Radio Shack DX-398 that I bought in '97 or '98. Whenever I try to
listen to anything in either usb or lsb, it sounds sort of like the
chipmunks. The pitch just sounds wrong and unintelligable.

I don't have a lot of experience with swl, so I don't know if this is
normal or not. I would expect normal AM broadcasts to be distorted, but
signals that I'm sure are ssb also sound bad.

(This problem comes to mind now because I was attempting to pick up the
pirate broadcast on 6925 mentioned on this newsgroup just a few minutes
ago, which I'm pretty sure is usb. I can pick it up. I even recognized
the old David Crosby song they were playing. But it's still un-
intelligable.)