Old August 27th 03, 01:15 AM
Peter O. Brackett

Roy:

[snip]
"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
In transmission line analysis, we're not free to rescale the forward and
reverse voltage waves, unless we also scale all the voltages, currents
and powers accordingly. The forward and reverse waves have to add to the
total voltage in the line and at its ends, and the ratio of each
component to the corresponding current component has to equal the Z0 of
the line.

[snip]

I agree, that's why I say the definition of rho with Zo and not the
conjugate is
actually Mother Natures definition. Simply because that's the way the
solution
to the wave equation [The Telegraphists Equation] turns out.

[snip]
It's quite apparent that in S parameter analysis you're quite
free to scale them as you wish, as you have. Vendelin et al didn't just
scale them, but chose a set of V+ and V- which aren't even related to a
and b by the same constant.

[snip]

Actually you are free!

Just define the waves a and b as any linear combination of i and v and as
long as the linear combination is non-singular you will be just fine! You
can Engineer systems to your hearts content and get all the right answers.
[It's sort of like the assumption of current flow in conductors from + to -,
even though we "know" electrons flow the other way, it always
gives us the correct Engineering answers, so who cares!]

[snip]
basic principles. And from it or other methods, we can conclude that
when a transmission line is terminated in its characteristic impedance,
there is no reflection of the voltage (or current) wave. When it's
terminated in the complex conjugate of its characteristic impedance, or
any other impedance except its characteristic impedance, there is a
reflection.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

[snip]

Roy my friend we are in violent agreement!

--
Peter K1PO
Indialantic By-the-Sea, FL.