Old August 27th 03, 01:33 AM
Peter O. Brackett

Roy:

[snip]
You didn't show differently in your analysis, and no one has stepped
forward with a contrary proof, derivation from known principles, or
numerical example that shows otherwise.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

[snip]

Yes I did. I guess that you missed that post.

I'll paste a little bit of that posting here below so that you can see it
again.

[begin paste]
We are discussing *very* fine points here, but...

[snip]
ratio of the reflected to incident voltage as rho = b/a would yeild the
usual formula:

rho = b/a = (Z - R)i/(Z + R)i = (Z - R)/(Z+ R).

In which no conjugates appear!

Now if we take the internal/reference impedance R to be complex as R = r +
jx then for a "conjugate match" the unknown Z would be the conjugate of the
internal/reference impedance and so that would be:

Z = r - jx

Thus the total driving point impedance faced by the incident voltage a would
be 2r:

R + Z = r + jx + r - jx = 2r

and the current i through Z would be i = a/2r with the voltage v across Z
being v = a/2.

Now the reflected voltage under this conjugate match would not be zero,
rather it would be:

b = (Z - R)i = ((r - jx) - (r + jx))i = (r - r -jx -jx)i = -2jxi = -2jxa/2r
= -jax/r

and the reflection coefficient value under this conjugate match would be
simply:

b/a = rho = - jx/r

Thus I conclude that, under the classical definitions, when one has a
"conjugate match" [i.e. maximum power transfer] the reflected voltage and
the reflection coefficient are not zero.
:
:
In summary:

Under the classical definition of rho = (Z - R)/(Z + R) rho will be not be
zero for a "conjugate match" and in fact there will be a "residual"
reflected voltage of -jx/r times the incident voltage at a conjugate match.
The only time the classical definition of rho and the reflected voltage is
null is for an "image match" when the load equals the reference impedance.
:
:
Unless one changes ones definition of the reflected voltage/reflection
coefficient to utilize the conjugate of the internal impedance as the
"reference" impedance then the reflected voltage is not zero at a conjugate
match. End of story.
[snip]

Regards,

--