Old December 20th 04, 08:31 PM
Richard Clark

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:42:00 +0000 (UTC), "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

The original English word for "Antenna" is "Aerial".

Hi Reggie,

The Oxford English Dictionary reveals that both terms came into
identical (RF) usage in the same year: 1902...
But USA citizens who imagined, as is quite normal for USA citizens, they had
invented such devices, they then had to invent another naming-word in
support of their claims.

.... and the OED goes on to reveal that no such association to USA
naming-word (curious Brit invention in that term) was made. This
archaic artifact of language (naming-word construction) has its roots
in "Cædmon's Hymn" written in the 6th Century. Such twinnings were
often found with such examples as whale's-road (meaning the sea).

When we step back to the global English perspective (there are far
more English literates and speakers in India than England), it becomes
obvious that aerials (which means "of the air") is an archaic
affectation. One may even note the curious spelling that begs another
affectation towards ærial (which would be incorrect and lead many to
the wrong pronunciation).

Old son, I enjoy such affectations, but reflect on how often you
struggle trying to understand English - take comfort in that you are
not alone. ;o)

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC