Old August 27th 03, 02:14 AM
Richard Clark

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 00:27:27 GMT, "Peter O. Brackett"
wrote:

Richard:

[snip]
I know you eschew academic references in favor of "first principles,"
but others may want more material than the simple puzzle aspect.
They can consult "Transmission Lines & Networks," Walter C. Johnson,
Chapter 13, "Insertion Loss and Reflection Factors." But lest those
who go there for the answer, I will state it is from another
reference, Johnson simply is offered as yet another reference to
balance the commonly unstated inference of SWR mechanics being
conducted with a Z matched source. "Transmission Lines," Robert
Chipman is another (and not the source of the puzzle either).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

[snip]

I hear you...

I don't eschew academic references, but when it comes to systems
Engineering, I do try to follow what our great President Regan once said,
"Trust, but Verify!"

Hi Peter,

I presume by this you have neither a solution nor an analysis by first
principles. Just as well, this stumper has baffled many. Two
resistors and a hank of line....

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC