Old December 20th 04, 10:50 PM
Cecil Moore

Ed wrote:
Does a folded dipole antenna have the same low noise
characteristics as
a loop antenna?

Yup, the same as a standard Dipole.

Assume you meant: "the same as a standard loop."?

Yes, I hope that he meant "loop" instead of "dipole" . I still would
like to hear from others on this, too. I am re-considering my planned
installation of a loop now, in favor of the tactically easier to install
folded dipole, if I can maintain that low noise charactistic.

You can get the same effect with a dipole by installing a toroidal
inductance (RF choke) across the feedpoint or (surprise) by using a 4:1
voltage balun. Back when I didn't know any better, I used a 4:1 voltage
balun and it was quiet but ineffective as a balun on some bands. Things
got noisier when I switched to a 1:1 choke. An RF choke solved the
problem.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp