Old December 21st 04, 01:33 AM
Crazy George

Ed:

You got some interesting discussion, but I wonder if any actually heard the question. Unfortunately, the question is
incomplete, and this often leads to answers to questions you never asked. What particular kind of noise do you
characterize?

Loops respond to magnetic fields, and dipoles respond to electric fields. So what, you ask? Well, if the noise you are
concerned with is locally generated RFI stuff, and you are within the near field, the shielded loop often provides
better signal to noise ratio on distant signals because of some fundamental characteristics of near electromagnetic
fields. Which Roy or Reg or a lot of others can explain a lot more lucidly than I can. Other slightly further away
noise is likely to be vertically polarized, again due to the propagation characteristics of surface waves, and any
antenna which is more sensitive to horizontal polarization and less to vertical can exhibit batter S/N on distant
signals. If, on the other hand, you are trying to receive weak local signals in the presence of strong distant noise,
well, then the reverse tends to be true. The point? No specific one answer fits all cases. If it did, there would be
only one kind of antenna.

--
Crazy George
Remove N O and S P A M imbedded in return address
"Ed" wrote in message . 93.175...

Does a folded dipole antenna have the same low noise characteristics as
a loop antenna?

Ed K7AAT