Old August 27th 03, 02:45 AM

W5DXP wrote:

wrote:
W5DXP wrote:
Actually, not. You continue to resist pointing out which step is wrong.

You obviously have not read all of my replies.

On the contrary. But finally this one actually addresses
one of the steps rather than just attempting to show that that
conclusion is wrong.

Is it step 2)?
"2) At quarter wave points along this line, voltages and currents
which are always 0 can be observed -- the standing wave"

This seems to be generally accepted.

This is where your confusion starts. There are points where the
NET voltage and NET current are zero. Those are merely the points
where the forward Poynting vector and reflected Poynting vector
are out of phase.

This emphasis on NET seems to be the place where the difficulties
begin. An (ideal) voltmeter placed at a voltage minima on the line
indicates a voltage of 0 volts. You appear to be saying that
despite this indication of 0, there is actually voltage present.

This contention leads to a number of questions related to voltmeters:
- when I use a voltmeter to measure the voltage in a circuit,
how do I know when an indication of 0 means 0?
- how do I know when an indication of 0 means there are
really a number of voltages which sum to 0?
- how do I determine what these voltages are which sum to 0?
- if it indicates other than 0, is it really indicating a
number of voltages which sum to the result?
- how do I determine what these voltages actually are?
- can voltmeters be trusted at all?
- when?

In my world, voltmeters indicate volts. There is no need for
second guessing.

Until this very fundamental difference is settled, there is
no value in examining the remaining steps.

....Keith