Old January 24th 05, 03:05 AM
Keith Hosman KC8TCQ

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 01:46:56 GMT, SideBand wrote:

itoldyouiamnotiamnotgeorge wrote:
SideBand wrote in news:jqhHd.16384$_X7.6881
@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com:

itoldyouiamnotiamnotgeorge wrote:

Tone Squelch -Is a generic name for many "Sub-audible tone systems".

Don't you mean CTCSS?

No

Tone Squelch -Is a generic name for many "Sub-audible tone systems". The
principle is that a receiver will not allow any audio to be routed to the
speaker unless it is accompanied by the appropriate sub-audible tone.
(Also see: CTCSS, ETS & PL)

CTCSS - "Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System" CTCSS is a series of
sub-audible tones which are standard on most new radios. An audible
cousin
of CTCSS is DTMF. These tones often perform control functions. Some
repeaters may require a sub-audible tone before activating, others use it
to perform functions such as turning all trunks on and off when a
specific tone is present. (Also see: Tone Squelch, ETS & PL)

ETS - "Electronic Tone Squelch" is the Canadian Marconi Company version
of
tone squelch. ETS is a series of sub-audible tones which has the ability
of performing control functions. (Also see, Tone Squelch, CTCSS & PL.)

Do I need to point it out? Am I the only one that sees it?

According to your first "definition" up there, Sub-Audible Tone System
(SATS) = CTCSS = PL.

In fact, all of my ICOM and Alinco manuals equate PL with CTCSS and
define them with the same definition you attribute to SATS.

Or were you confusing CTCSS with DTS?

PL is the Motorola copyrighted name for CTCS is stands for Private
Line. CTCS, PL, ETS are all the same thing.