Old January 25th 05, 06:01 AM
starman

I have this vision of the loop snapping off at the base (standard
mounting) when it's loaded with ice in a high wind. It's not clear to

me
how you would provide more vertical support at the top of the loop
without interfering with it's ability to rotate (with a rotor).

Well, it isn't always mounted on a rotor. I didn't use a rotor because
the antenna's performance seems pretty omnidirectional on the
frequencies that interest me. However, I don't spend a lot of time on
MW either, and anyone who does should definitely use a rotor.

My sense is that the antenna is quite strong and there's nothing on it
to really 'catch' the wind. If you didn't provide additional support, I
doubt that the antenna would ever sustain wind damage. However, if you
had it right in front of you and had an hour or two to think about it,
I'm sure you could improvise some sort of additional support. You'd
probably have fun doing it, too!

One of the nice features of the Wellbrook is being able to mount it with
a dual axis rotor so you can fine tune the reception angle. It's an
expensive option but that's what I would do to get the most out of it. I
wonder if anyone knows the circuit design for the loop's pre-amp? That's
probably what makes it perform so well.