Old August 27th 03, 06:29 AM
Roy Lewallen

Hm, this has me puzzled. Assuming a purely real Z0, you're taking the
square roots of two purely real quantities, each of which can have two
values, and speaking of a phase angle between them. Where in the process
did they pick up phase information? Or do you just mean when one is the
negative of the other? If so, how do you tell -- each has two roots,
that is, Sqrt(Pfwd*Z0) can be either positive or negative, and so can
Sqrt(Pfref*Z0). How do you know when one is the negative of the other?

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

W5DXP wrote:
Richard Clark wrote:

We covered this before. The NET 0 "could be" the result of a
bajillion volts and -bajillion volts.

It could be but it's not. The NET 0 is the result of Pfwd=Pref
Thus, Sqrt(Pfwd*Z0) = Sqrt(Pref*Z0) and when they are 180 deg
out of phase, the net voltage is zero.