Old January 25th 05, 06:08 PM
Soliloquy

starman wrote in :

Why don't most cars come standard with tire chains installed? Probably
because most people would have no need for them. The Yaesu FRG-100 Pre-
Dates the R-75 by 7 years. The Yaesu FRG-100 was introduced in 1992, the
Icom R-75 in 1999.

Although it seems like computers have been with us forever, their common
use in terms of being interfaced, by the average Joe, with radios is a
relatively recent phenomenon.

The Yaesu design apparently goes back 13 years. Look here for a little
computer history. http://www.computerhope.com/history/19902000.htm
http://www.computerhope.com/win3x.htm

Notice that the release date for Windows 3.1 was also in 1992. Whoopee,
Windows 3.1, I would guess that those computers had USB ports. No, why
not? Ah, the evolution of the equipment only produced USB ports in later
years.

Perhaps this is why the FRG-100, released in 1992, and no doubt being
designed a few years before that, didn't obsess about converting the CAT
port to Serial Port levels. I believe that the port was there more for
the option of Remote Control operation than computer interface.

My point is that obsessions with extras does not necessarily make for
good equipment. The Yaesu FRG-100 is a solid performer, even without the
additional features of the Icom R-75. For that matter, is there anyone
out there with a fully operational Palstar R-30C, in like new condition,
that they would like to swap for my fully operational R-75, also in like
new condition?

You can't get any more basic than the Palstar R-30C. But it is also a
performer. Gone are all of those seductive buttons and knobs, instead,
the money goes into the quality of the components used throughout. And
most frightening, I don't even know if it has Computer Control options,
"Oh the Humanity"!

http://www.palstar.com/r30.php

Soliloquy

matt weber wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 03:38:39 -0500, starman wrote:

Soliloquy wrote:

Yes, but why didn't Yaesu implement a proper RS-232 interface like
most table-top receivers have done in recent years? I guess only they
can answer that question.