Old January 26th 05, 07:31 PM

Richard Harrison wrote:
Stryped wrote:
"If I use a conductive boom and ground it, is there no need for a
coaxial lightning arrester?"

That is my experience, provided that the driven element is a
short-circuit for lower frequencies, such as a folded dipole or a
short-circuit 1/4-wave stub.

My company had countless examples in high places over the world with

no
damage to radios, including many solid-state models, operating 24-7.

W6SAI, Bill Orr gives plenty of examples of "plumber`s delight"

Yagi-Uda
antennas in the eighteenth edition of "Radio Handbook" (1970). He

also
warns on page 548: "Short large-diameter elements have low Q and are

not
practical in parasitic arrays. Orr also says: "The Yagi antenna,
however, remains "the antenna to beat" for the 50-,144-, and 220-MHz
amateur bands."

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

What do you mean it is "short circuited for low frequencies?"

I am trying to decide whther to go with two antennas or one.

I would like to build at least one of them, but can not find plans for
one with a conductive boom.