Old January 26th 05, 05:30 PM

On 26 Jan 2005 07:56:33 -0800, wrote:

Are there plans on the net for making your own coax surge supressor?
(Lightening protection)? I cannot seem to find any but hear there are.

Find a copy of an older Radio Amateurs Handbook in the pre 1980 circa
and there is more coverage on the subject there.

However, The basic idea is a spark gap from the center conductor to
shield (and ground). At HF to interrupt the shield of the coax is
trivial and of minimal effect of the transmission like
characteristics. As one reaches the VHF/UHF range higher it becomes
significant to critical as even small changes in the coax and
interconnects are measurable at UHF. So as frequency goes up the
mechanical shapes and connectors are important and less readily home
brewed without a lathe and other tools.

Besides there are excellent products with known characteristice
available for reasonable prices from I.C.E., PolyPhaser and others.

Allison