Old January 26th 05, 05:36 PM
Dave Hall

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 15:01:09 GMT, "Landshark"
wrote:

We live in a society. This has obvious benefits, but it also demands
some responsibilities. One of those responsibilites is to make sure
everyone has a reasonable opportunity to succeed and not become a
burden on our society.

If one goes to school, gets an education, promotes that education by
further schooling, aggressively seeks employment, maintains that
employment showing a commitment to the employer and his business,
then he's is not being a burden on society. That opportunity is there
for almost everyone, they have to "want" it, not expect it.

That's called personal responsibility. It's at the core of the
conservative mantra.

But because there are racist attitudes among
many employers, there are fewer opportunities for people of other
races. It then becomes the responsibility of everyone else to pick up
the slack left by the racists. That's why we have affirmative action.

I don't believe that's prevalent anymore. If we were in the 50's, 60's
& even the early 70's I would say yes, but I feel it's not the case now.

I never see racism in my daily conduction of business. We employ all
sorts of diverse ethnic people. Nobody even thinks about it.

In fact, when I see some of the older members of my family and they
let out a racially insensitive comment, it makes me cringe.

But there are people of recognized minority status who "play" the
system. The problem is that when the majority tries to open up dialog
to address this subject, they are shouted down and demonized by the
opposition by calling the discussions "racist", "sexist", or
"xenophobic". I applaud Bill Cosby for speaking out and highlighting
many of the problems which are affecting the black community. Maybe
coming from one of their own, the dialog might stand a better chance
of happening.

So don't blame the government and don't blame people "of color". Blame
Canada..... (hehe, just kidding).

Nope, don't blame them, but do blame Canada

You're such a hoser! Take off eh?

The problem originates with racist
attitudes which have been around for quite a while and aren't going
away anytime soon.

Those will always be around, affirmative action or not, but again
I feel that's far & few in between.

By cooperating with Affirmative Action you are
shouldering the responsibilities that are shirked by racist employers,
and for that you should be commended -- after all, nobody is forcing
you to do business with Issaquah, are they?

If my business is with them, why must I be forced to "not" do business
with them? Because my company has 12 employee's, all qualified to
do the job, but none are of "color" or just one person, so that's not
enough.
My last job I was a manager, I did the hiring & firing and to me I didn't
care what color you were, just so you did the job & did it well. That
attitude is the same where I'm at now.

That is the only criteria that should be considered IMHO.

We have people of color, women working there. I remember a person
of color hired and was asked to take the owners truck over to the car wash
and have them wash it. He refused and said it was a job that degraded him.

And some wonder why many minority people are still falling short in
the wealth category........

I LOL!!! I had done that very same job a dozen times, among many others
when I first started there, I didn't care, just as long as I was paid.

It has lot to do with attitude, people have become complacent and
started
to live off of welfare, SSI, disability etc. Those programs were only meant
as
a crutch, but have grown into basically an income for those that don't want
work (I saw it for years when working in SF). Some truly need those programs
and don't abuse them, but more than not abuse it and almost never have to
work
because people like you & I support them with "our" hard earned taxes.

And you can thank the liberals for creating the "entitlement"
generation...

Your tax dollars NOT at work........

Dave
"Sandbagger"