Old January 26th 05, 04:31 PM
Tony Meloche

Default Radial wire antennas - by Peter Chambers

Cuhulin wrote:

KVOO,Tulsa is 419 miles (674 KM,364 Nautical Miles,I looked it up at
indo.com,Find Distance) Northwest of where I live and I love Western
Ranch Music.I can't pick up KVOO (kvoo.com) from where I live on my
radio's.My yard area measures about 170 feet West to East and about 60
feet North to South.If I lay an antenna like that on my yard,would that
let me pick up KVOO,Tulsa,Oklahoma real good on my radio's? Will that
help/improve Shortwave listening too? I would probally need to bury the
wire in my yard about two or three inches so that when I mow my yard in
the Summertime,my lawnmower wouldn't be snagging on the wire.(one day
when I was driving that old reject Clark forklift at Tan Son
Nhut,sombody had left a whole roll of flat steel banding wire laying
partway in the road.It was just wayyyyy too tempting,,,,, I just had! to
get the right rear wheel of that forklift snagged on that roll of
banding wire! Accidently on purpose,of course :{)
cuhulin

Well, there is a type of antenna configuration designed to be lain on
the ground or even buried a couple of inches. It is made from coax, and
is called a "snake" antenna (recipies are on the web in various places).
Don't know how you'd do it - or if you could - with plain steel wire.

But more to the point, as best as I can tell, KVOO is an FM station - I
don't see any AM listing for it. The rough figure for maximum reach of
reception of an FM station is about 100 miles, as FM is line-of-sight
transmission. DXers make FM catches exceeding that, of course, but that
would be a rarity. 420 miles? I doubt it's possible.

The "snake" antenna configuration would likely improve your reception,
though, of a lot of things. What kind of antenna config are you using
currently?

Tony