Old January 27th 05, 02:48 AM
W9DMK

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 18:30:36 -0500, "Hal Rosser"
wrote:

I read somewhere that as the length of each leg of the dipole approaches 5/8
wave the gain increases.
(The reason for the 5/8-wave vertical )
So - from that - I would gues you'd have a smidgen better antenna by cutting
it long and tuning to match.
But for the record - I would cut it so as to use the tuner less often.

Do you suppose, by any chance, that Louis Varney had anything like
that in mind when he invented the G5RV antenna specifically for the 20
m band with its 1.5 wavelength flat-top ( about 3/4 wavelength on each
side)?

Bob, W9DMK, Dahlgren, VA
Replace "nobody" with my callsign for e-mail
http://www.qsl.net/w9dmk
http://zaffora/f2o.org/W9DMK/W9dmk.html