Old January 26th 05, 11:08 PM
SideBand

Vinnie S. wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 22:03:22 GMT, SideBand wrote:

Vinnie S. wrote:

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 21:25:07 GMT, SideBand wrote:

Vinnie S. wrote:

What size loop and how many turns should I use to create a RF choke with my
coax, right before the antenna?

Vinnie S.

8 to 10 turns on an 8 inch form, remove the form, with RG-8X or similar
"mini" coax. 6-8 turns with RG-8 or 213.

HTH

-SSB

Thanks. I am going to use LMR-400. I assume that is about the same thickness as
the RG-8.

Vinnie S.

Yes.. Roughly equivalent. What's the application? You building a dipole
or an inverted V?

Sticking a 6 foot Firestick in the attic, using eight 9' wires as a ground
plane. Then when the weather warms, I stick a Imax in a tree.

Vinnie S.

You shouldn't need a choke for that, but it won't hurt either. Keep the
plane of the coil perpendicular to the antenna (the firestik) in that
setup, and drape the wires for the ground plane over the top of it.. If
you can get a foot or two separating the coil/choke and the ground plane
wires.

-SSB