Old January 26th 05, 10:30 PM
laura fairhead

Default Building an antenna

Hi,

Can Joe or anyone else explain to me a few things; I am
trying to set up a antenna on the roof as reception is
really bad using the indoor whip (lots of interference
I live next door to a restaurant ventilator farm and I
think that may be a problem). Anyway I am thinking of
getting a length of wire and just laying it on top of the
roof under a couple of bricks to stop it getting blown
around. The thing I don't get is the connection down
the side of the house - I need to use a different cable yes?

I have heard people specify a length of "radio coax" is
suitable but I do not understand how this could be any
use without the shielding being grounded - could someone
explain?

My roberts R861 has a minijack anntena input - which has
2 connections on the plug - are they both used or is
only one? If I use a thick cable to run into the house
would I need any special attention to connect that to
the minijack?

What sort of length wire should I use on the roof, is
it just a case of the longer the better?

Thanks in advance for any advice

bestwishes
laura

I habe never owned a Sangean ATS 909 nor do I know anyone who does.
According to PASSPORT TO WORLD BAND RADIO, the Sangean/Roberts works
BEST off its AC adapter as it "eats" batteries. An external antenna is
necessary also, as it lacks sensitivity with its whip (according to
them).

A long wire, or loop antenna, mounted on your roof would be ideal. Try
buying a length of insulated wire, two ceramic or equivalent stand-off
insulators (to isolate the antenna from whatever support you use) and
some lead-in wire; attach the appropriate plug to the lead-in to attach
to the radio and you're in business. No separate ground is necessary,
but make sure you DISCONNECT the antenna whenever the radio is not in
use and, especially, during local thunderstorms. (NEVER use ANY
electronic appliance during a thunderstorm; storms only last a
half-hour or so.)

Do NOT let your antenna proper or the lead-in touch anything metallic;
that will degrade the signal.

--
echo |sed 's/\(.\)\(.\)/\2\1/g'