Old January 27th 05, 04:14 AM
Soliloquy

starman wrote in :

Dear Mark and Starman, rather than neurose this link into infinity by
reasserting that the RS232 Standard was omitted since Yaesu had an
insidious plot to overthrow the economy by forcing people to buy the
adapter, why don't you offer evidence, in the form of URLs, to pages that
discuss the prevalence of RS232 ports on other similarly priced equipment
of the time?

Visit he http://www.dxing.com/rx/r71a.htm for information on the Icom
R-71 and R-72.

Here's the back of the Icom R-71

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...vr/r71diar.jpg

Here's the back of the Icom R-72

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...r/r72rear.html

Apparently their RS232 Jacks fell of before these photos were taken.

Notice they offer an "OPTIONAL" CT-17 CI-V Level converter. Here we go
again, the conspiracy theories will abound, this underhanded manufacturer
must have been trying to destroy the US economy by requiring their
customers to actually buy accessories rather than incorporate them into
the radio, "Oh the Humanity".

Gee, the Drake R8 and the R8A had the RS232 jacks, but they retailed for
$400 more. Isn't that special. You pay more and you get more, what a
concept.

Does the Lowe 150 have an RS232 Jack, I don't think so!

Strange, I thought that this was an elaborate plan by Yaesu?

The proof is in the pudding. Oh, and by the by, for the correct phrase,
please visit he http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20020903.html

So you can see, the presence of RS232 Jacks, on equipment of that era,
was limited to units retailing for nearly $1000. But why let facts get in
the way of a needless gripe?

"Mark S. Holden" wrote:

The RS-232 standard was an "established" standard when the FRG-100
was brought out, and personal computers were popular long before
Windows was introduced.

Odds are they thought they could make more of a profit by selling the
RS-232 adapter as an accessory. Lowe did the same thing.

That makes the most business sense. I didn't think there was any valid
technical reason.