Old January 27th 05, 02:56 PM
Landshark

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 15:01:09 GMT, "Landshark"
wrote in :

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
. ..

snip
We live in a society. This has obvious benefits, but it also demands
some responsibilities. One of those responsibilites is to make sure
everyone has a reasonable opportunity to succeed and not become a
burden on our society.

If one goes to school, gets an education, promotes that education by
further schooling, aggressively seeks employment, maintains that
employment showing a commitment to the employer and his business,
then he's is not being a burden on society. That opportunity is there
for almost everyone, they have to "want" it, not expect it.

See below.

But because there are racist attitudes among
many employers, there are fewer opportunities for people of other
races. It then becomes the responsibility of everyone else to pick up
the slack left by the racists. That's why we have affirmative action.

I don't believe that's prevalent anymore. If we were in the 50's, 60's
& even the early 70's I would say yes, but I feel it's not the case now.

I used to think that way. But over the years I've seen that racial
discrimination is present just as much as it was before -- it's just
not as visible.

That maybe so, but where I live and have gone I don't see it.

So don't blame the government and don't blame people "of color". Blame
Canada..... (hehe, just kidding).

Nope, don't blame them, but do blame Canada

The problem originates with racist
attitudes which have been around for quite a while and aren't going
away anytime soon.

Those will always be around, affirmative action or not, but again
I feel that's far & few in between.

If you have a scanner, spend a few days listening in on some of your
neighbors' telephone conversations. You might be suprised.

Nah, no thanks. I've got way to much stuff to do before I
start to worry about my neighbors.

By cooperating with Affirmative Action you are
shouldering the responsibilities that are shirked by racist employers,
and for that you should be commended -- after all, nobody is forcing
you to do business with Issaquah, are they?

If my business is with them, why must I be forced to "not" do business
with them? Because my company has 12 employee's, all qualified to
do the job, but none are of "color" or just one person, so that's not
enough.

If I remember right, there's a minimum number of employees you must
have before you are required to comply with AA. Is 12 over that
threshold?

I don't own a business, I was using that as an example. I thnk
you are right though, it's probally more like 20 or 30 people.

My last job I was a manager, I did the hiring & firing and to me I
didn't
care what color you were, just so you did the job & did it well. That
attitude is the same where I'm at now.
We have people of color, women working there. I remember a person
of color hired and was asked to take the owners truck over to the car wash
and have them wash it. He refused and said it was a job that degraded him.
I LOL!!! I had done that very same job a dozen times, among many others
when I first started there, I didn't care, just as long as I was paid.

I understand what you are saying and I agree completely. It would be
great if everyone was color-blind. But that's just not the case.

It has lot to do with attitude, people have become complacent and
started
to live off of welfare, SSI, disability etc. Those programs were only
meant
as
a crutch, but have grown into basically an income for those that don't
want
work

.....people like Eric,

Don't know. If what that guy posts about him yes, that's
correct, but again, I don't know Eric.

(I saw it for years when working in SF). Some truly need those programs
and don't abuse them, but more than not abuse it and almost never have to
work
because people like you & I support them with "our" hard earned taxes.

Yep. But eliminating the programs hurt the people they were intended
to help. The problem is the abuse, not the programs.

Agreed. every time you start to investigate abuse of these programs,
"activist" jump & down about the poor being singled out. You'll never see
these programs shut down, to many people that are getting rich off them,
will complain to the activist and they in-turn will protest and get a hold
of the media and start their little show of "they are trying to persecute us
because we are poor".

Landshark

--
Is it so frightening to have me at your shoulder?
Thunder and lightning couldn't be bolder.