Old January 27th 05, 05:35 PM
Harry MacLean VE3GRO

IA few years ago, I had to use an indoor antenna on 80 and 160 metres due to
covenant restrictions (I put up a small vertical outside for 40-10 metres. No
one noticed it so no one cared.) The indoor antenna started at the floor of a
bedroom closet, ran up into th attic to the dizzying height of 15 feet, and
went horizontal for about 30 feet ending in a huge capacity hat that I
constructed at the gable end of the attic. It resonanted at about 2.5 MHz and I
fed it with an L-network mounted on the floor of the closet, using, for a
ground plane, the heating ducts, copper plumbing and a few extra wires in the
basement. It worked as well as most folks' outside dipoles on 75-80, and on 160
, on several cold crisp winter nights, I was able to work into the UK and
France on CW. Yes, when I hit the key, the lights on the Christmas tree would
glow--even though the lights were't plugged in! Anyways, moral of the story is
don't limit yourself to 2 metres. Put something up. You'll be pleasantly
surprised by what you can work with an indoor antenna. 73. Harry MacLean,
VE3GRO, London, Ontario, Canada, e-mail .
Harry MacLean, VE3GRO
500 Riverside Drive, London, ON N6H 2R7
(519) 473-1668