Old January 27th 05, 06:36 PM
Wes Stewart

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 15:05:39 -0600, "Ken Bessler"
wrote:

My 160/80m trap dipole can be operated without
a tuner from 1.800 to 1.930. I mainly operate in
that range (usually on 1.893) and I have a tuner for
operating above 1.930. Easy.

My question is this - is it better to resonate high and
use a tuner to go lower or do it the way I'm doing now
(resonate low and use a tuner to go higher)?

Or will it even matter enough to notice??? My guess
is (at these freqs) no......

Not enough info to tell. You need to measure or calculate the input Z
of your transmission line with the two (or more) wire lengths and then
calculate the tuner loss for each case. This will depend of the
topology of the tuner.

Remember that as a general rule, the tuner capacitors are lower loss
than the inductors. I think that you will find that over this
restricted frequency range there will be little difference, although
with some weird line length, you might create a condition where the
tuner is quite lossy.