Old January 27th 05, 03:41 PM
Dave Holford

Lucky wrote:
"Dave Holford" wrote in message
. ..

Lucky wrote:

Is this mainly a program listening rig?
How is the SSB on it with no PBT or shift?

I guess you can't even compare it to a Drake R8 huh??

Any opinions?

Thanks
Lucky

The SSB is excellent; the synchronous AM, all 4 options, works great; as
do the AM and AMN.

Dave

But how can it be that good in SSB with no PBT or shift? Explain..

Lucky

Good question, given that the vast majority of my listening is on SSB,
including some SWBC stations with QRM on one sideband - BBC on 12095 for
example - what do PBT and IF Shift have to do with SSB performance?
If they were important surely they would be standard items in
professional receivers?

I agree that they can be useful on occasion for getting rid of some QRM,
but they are hardly a requirement for good SSB performance.

I have, among others, the HF-150, R-5000, Plessey PR155, Eddystone
EC-958: none have PBT and only the R-5000 has shift which is very seldom
needed, the filters do most of the work. My HAM rigs have both and also
are seldom required.

Regards
Dave