Old January 26th 05, 06:29 PM
Mark Zenier

In article ,
Jay wrote:
I found an old ferrite rod antenna coil in my scrap box and would like
to know if it would be possible to hook it to my Philco 38-10 ?
It has the usual 4 leads on these antennas and I have no idea where
these leads should be connected.
Any and all information for my education on these antennas will be
greatly appreciated.

Is that a pre-WWII tube radio?

A ferrite rod loop stick is both the antenna and the tuning coil for
the first RF amplifier (if the radio has one) or the mixer RF input.
So you'd have to go into the band switch and disconnect the tuning coil
for that band, and then rewind the winding on the loop stick for the
same inductance. Not worth the effort, IMHO.

You could make a tuned loop stick out of it by connecting the right value
of variable capacitor and then add a link winding of a few turns that
hooked up to the antenna and ground inputs. But that's yet another knob
to twiddle. (You'd probably be better off with multi turn wire loop a
couple of feet across).

Mark Zenier Washington State resident