Old January 27th 05, 11:20 PM
jakdedert

Jim - NN7K wrote:
jakdedert wrote:

IMHO, requiring a code test is like requiring someone to know how to
reupholster their car in order to get a drivers license. It's
unlikely that they will ever use the knowledge.

OTOH, I've seen a number of very simplistic technical questions
posted lately in this and in other forums, by 'hams' who should know
better....

jak

Corse just how many repair their own radios - let alone design them-
Like requireing a person to Build a PORSCH from scratch, when he only
wants to avoid pedestrians, and other traffic! Lets get rid of ALL
testing materials, and abolish the FCC -- then ANYONE can transmit
ANYWHERE, from DC to LIGHT! No callsign required, nor power limits!
Free speech at last ! Makes as much sense! Jim NN7K

The kinds of questions to which I'm referring, are things like; how to hook
up a power supply, and whether a roof-mounted antenna should be grounded
(that was the question...not whether the MAST should be grounded)...things
that are covered in detail in the ARRL publications...and that are at least
'covered' in the license-study materials.

Of course, those 'hams' may in fact be unlicensed CB'ers or whatever...but
in any case I think a more solid grounding in the electronic aspects of
operation and installation are more important than learning how to
communicate with dits and dahs.

jak