Old January 28th 05, 12:06 AM
Jim - NN7K

Well, just how DIFFICULT is it to plug in a radio to the CIGARETTE
LIGHTER hole (unless you smoke)?, or stick a mag mount on a steel roof ?
Lets let the whole thing go the CB route-- and be done with it (but
then, some folks will want to eliminate that fun, whih "SERVICES" that
pay their own way thru licensing fees ! As a TECHNICAL pool, admit it:
Amateur radio is now little more than a higher power CITIZENS /FREE
bander group, and is ripe for abolishment to the garbage can of history,
next to the buggy whips! Jim NN7K

jakdedert wrote:

The kinds of questions to which I'm referring, are things like; how to hook
up a power supply, and whether a roof-mounted antenna should be grounded
(that was the question...not whether the MAST should be grounded)...things
that are covered in detail in the ARRL publications...and that are at least
'covered' in the license-study materials.

Of course, those 'hams' may in fact be unlicensed CB'ers or whatever...but
in any case I think a more solid grounding in the electronic aspects of
operation and installation are more important than learning how to
communicate with dits and dahs.

jak