Old January 28th 05, 04:25 AM
KD6EVM

jakdedert wrote:
whoever wrote:

jakdedert wrote:

IMHO, requiring a code test is like requiring someone to know how to
reupholster their car in order to get a drivers license. It's
unlikely that they will ever use the knowledge.

OTOH, I've seen a number of very simplistic technical questions posted
lately in this and in other forums, by 'hams' who should know
better....

jak

I think it would be more like knowing how to change a tire to get a
drivers license!

NIMO...in an emergency, one might actually 'have' to change a tire. They'll
never HAVE to reupholster the seats. They might 'want' to, and learn how,
but I can't imagine it ever being required.

If one just learns enough code to pass the test, it's doubtful they'll
remember enough to communicate a year later...even in an emergency.

jak

I think the proper analogy would be to test applicants on how to drive a
buggy or ride a horse to get a drivers license. There are plenty of
people who enjoy these equine hobbies, but they have little to do with
driving a car. Of course, in an emergency, when no gasoline is available
or the roads are washed out, those on horseback will have an advantage
and save the day, but it would be foolish to restrict millions of
potential drivers because they realize it would be STUPID to make them
learn to ride a horse!

I learned the code to get my general and haven't used it since. I did
it, but for me, it was an enormous waste of time.

Another apt analogy is that code is a form of hazing to join the
fraternity of hams. Maybe we should carve our callsigns into paddles and
whack all prospective hams until they copy 20 wpm.

After WWII, there was a huge pool of of veteran radio operators who knew
and loved the code for what it was, the best and most reliable mode OF
ITS TIME. Sadly these pioneers are dying out, but their legacy persists.
Prospective hams are allowed to use newfangled calculators on their
exams. Shouldn't we demand that they use sliderules?

If you are worried about our CB good buddies taking over the bands, tune
into the 80 Meter band any evening. They are already there yammering
about their "legal limit" amps. That battle has already been lost.

As far as being able to fix my radio....I can't even fix my CAR anymore!
I could buy and drive and repair an old VW like I did for so many
years, but I've grown up and actually enjoy my 21st century ride! My
wife owns, rides, and maintains a beautiful horse, but when we need a
half gallon of milk, she doesn't saddle up and ride into town. She gets
into our 21st Century car and DRIVES to the store.

The arrow of time points in one direction. The clock ticks. So what is
it going to be? Buggywhips or PSK? While we argue over buggywhips the
FCC will take back the hambands or destroy them with BPL.

Enough

Tom Nelson KD6EVM
A 21st Century Ham