Old January 28th 05, 05:41 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Steve Sobol wrote:
Don Forsling wrote:

Welllll, your public library is not a court, either. But it _can_ make you
pay your fines. How? The same way that the FCC can do it--take you to
court and see how it all comes out.

Of course. Guys, the FCC *can't* throw you in jail for a criminal violation if
you break their rules. They *can* fine you and file a civil lawsuit against you
if you don't pay.

Actually, they *can*. http://www.telecomattorneys.com/analysis.html
which cites provisions of the Communications Act which allow prison
terms of up to two years for violations.

OK, it won't be the FCC that throws you in jail. They'd gather evidence
of violation of the Communications Act, tell the federal marshals where
to find you, and help the federal prosecutor prosecute charges for
violation of the Act.

None of which is at all common. The vast majority of violators "get the
message" from the civil forfeitures. I do have a *vague* recollection
of a custodial sentence being imposed on someone who insisted on
continuing to jam amateur radio communications after having several
civil forfeitures imposed. Can't recall anyone ever being jailed for
pirate broadcasting. Don't take my memory for it that it hasn't
happened though.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66