Old December 29th 04, 09:27 AM
Ian White, G3SEK

Richard Harrison wrote:
Ian White, G3SEK wrote:
"---but not a cage."

A cage according to my American dictionary is:
"A boxlike receptacle or enclosure for confining birds or other animals,
made with openwork of wires, bars, etc."

Ian sent me to my dictionary of electronics which reads:
"Faraday cage-See Faraday Shield"

Usage varies from place to place. I don`t know if I`m vindicated or
stand corrected.

Me neither! The main lesson is that we have to be careful to define what
we mean, because there's a strong risk that other people might
understand something different.

Faraday cages are used at CERN and other large particle accelerators, to
keep the sensitive particle detectors isolated from the pulsed megawatts
of RF energy that are kicking the particles around the ring. CERN is an
international facility, so each country has its own experiments using
separate Faraday cages.

Several years ago, I needed to call a friend who was working at CERN.
Someone picked up the phone, and a voice said "British Cage".

"Well," I thought, "that certainly puts us in our place..."

http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek