Old January 28th 05, 09:13 PM
Sel

Default Icom R-75 Software and RS232 Port

Soliloquy wrote:
Now that it has been established by 2 of the popular posters to this NG
that RS232 protocol and ports go back in history to Noah's time, I was
wondering if anyone knows what software I can use to control my Icom R-
75.

Everywhere I look, there is some Caveat, such as these:

Of the Icom RS-R75 Radio Control Software.
Windows 95/98 (not XP!) PC Software CD and DB-9 Serial Cable. [Requires
CT-17].
Apparently it doesn't work with Windows XP, AND it needs the CT-17 level
converter (at $129) to connect the Radio to the computer RS232 Port.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0175.html (Look for the
reference to RS-R75)

Another program, called Commander, requires an "interface".
http://www.qsl.net/civ_commander/

http://www.qsl.net/civ_commander/Help/Prerequisites.htm
"A serial port connected to your radio via an appropriate radio interface
"

Icom RS-232 Interface.
http://www.qsl.net/civ_commander/interface.jpg

I thought that all I had to do was to connect my computer serial port to
the radio's serial port. Why all the "interfaces" needed? Why is Windows
XP excluded?

I notice that the Commander's web address is CIV commander, and
understandably the need for the interface, but I am surprised over the
dearth of software for the Icom R75

Anyway, anybody have a link for software available for computer control
of the R-75 as a direct connection of the RS232 computer serial port to
the radio's RS232 port?

Thanks.

Soliloquy

http://www.qrz.com/download/controls/siw32_32.zip