Old January 28th 05, 10:25 PM
Mark S. Holden

Dennis wrote:
I would like to set up an attenuator like this one for my portable
shortwave using a random wire antenna:
http://www.kc7nod.20m.com/atten_.htm

But I also need static discharge capability to protect my receiver.
Here is one from the same site:
http://www.kc7nod.20m.com/static_dis.htm

These both seem like straightforward, solid circuits. However, if
they're used together, wouldn't a static charge take the path of least
resistance which would be the attenuator out the center tap and
straight to the radio?

If I'm correct, is there an attenuator/static discharge circuit that
will work together?

Thanks!

You could hook the potentiometer to the output of the static discharge
circuit, so the signal goes through it before it gets to your attenuator
circuit.